The history of Okayama University Medical School and Hospital

>The history of Okayama University Medical School and Hospital

Industry and spirit, spinning threads of the future.The tracks of 150 years of the Okayama University Medical School and Hospital.

Meiji

1870 April The Okayama Domain established a medical school in Kadota Village, Joto-gun in Bizen Province at the base of Sozan,(now Higashiyama 1-chome, Naka-ku, Okayama-shi) and began to educate medical students.
June Medical Training Place Sponsored by the Lord of Okayama and Hospital jointly established.
1871 July
Medical Training Place Sponsored by the Lord of Okayama and Infirmary jointly established at Nakanocho(now Omotecho 1-chome, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi)
1872 January Renamed Medical Training Place Sponsored by the Lord of Okayama as Medical Training Center Sponsored by the Lord of Okayama.
July Moved the Medical Training Center Sponsored by the Lord of Okayama and Hospital to Nakanocho and combined them with the Infirmary, and established the Medical Institute within the Hospital and named it the Prefectural Medical Teaching Center.
1873 August Moved the Hospital to Sakaecho(now Omotecho 2-chome, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi).
  November Renamed the Hospital as Okayama Prefectural Hospital, with permission from the Ministry of Education.
1876 April Renamed Okayama Prefectural Hospital as Okayama Prefecture Public Hospital.
1879 March Renamed Okayama Prefecture Public Hospital as Okayama Prefectural Hospital. Moved from Sakaecho to Yuminocho(now Yuminocho, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi).
1880 September The Medical School was separated from the Hospital, and independently established as Okayama Prefectural Medical School.
1883 April Graduates of the Okayama Prefectural Medical School were granted permission to practice without being tested by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
August Recognized as a first-class school of medicine, and was the largest medical school in Western Japan.
1884 May Established a school at Nishinomaru inside Okayama Castle(formerly Uchisange Elementary School).
1886 April Japan was divided into 5 zones, with 1 higher middle school in each zone, with the main office for Zone 3 being in Kyoto, and Okayama belonging to Zone 3.
1887 August A medical school was established in each higher middle school, with the First established in Chiba, Second in Sendai, Third in Okayama, Fourth in Kanazawa, and the Fifth in Nagasaki.
1888 April The Okayama Prefectural Medical School was discontinued, and the Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty was established.
1889 February The Okayama Medical Association held its first lectures, and published the first issue of the Journal of the Okayama Medical Association in December.
1890 July The facilities of the Medical School moved to Uchisange.
1891 July Okayama Prefectural Hospital moved to Uchisange.
1894 June The Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty became the Third Senior High School Medical Faculty in accordance with the Higher School Order .
1901 April Third Senior High School Medical Faculty was separated from the Third Senior High School, and independently established as the Okayama Medical Specialty School.

Taishou

1921 April Okayama Medical Specialty School and Okayama Prefectural Hospital moved to Shikata. Okayama Prefectural Hospital transferred to the Ministry of Education, and became associated with the Okayama Medical Specialty School.
1922 April The former Okayama Medical Specialty School was discontinued, and the Okayama Medical College was established.
May Medical offices associated with the Okayama Medical College were renamed Medical Offices Associated with the Okayama Medical College.

Predecessors at Okayama University Medical School and Hospital

Ataka Ikuta
Ataka Ikuta(1840-1902)
Professor, Okayama Domain Medical School / First Director of Okayama Prefectural Hospital
He came from being a court physician in the Bizen Domain to become a professor in the Okayama University Medical School in 1870. He became the first Director of Okayama Prefectural Hospital in 1875 after the domain system was reorganized and the prefectural system established right after the Medical School was established. He is considered to be the most meritorious person, for building the foundation for the Okayama University Medical School.
Yaoju Tsutsui
Yaoju Tsutsui(1863-1921)
In the same spirit as the sound of the Concordia Bell, he sought concord and peace within the school, not just as a measure for students, but also in harmonious relations between faculty members, and as Dean and Director his basic principle was a spirit of harmony and peace. This way he resolved conflicts within the school, and normalized dangerous situations within the school, giving it the chance to become a college.
In the same spirit as the sound of the Concordia Bell, he sought concord and peace within the school, not just as a measure for students, but also in harmonious relations between faculty members, and as Dean and Director his basic principle was a spirit of harmony and peace. This way he resolved conflicts within the school, and normalized dangerous situations within the school, giving it the chance to become a college.
Tatsusaburo Yabe
Tatsusaburo Yabe(1863-1924)
He was born in Otomo Village, Ono-gun, Bizen. He graduated from the first class to attend Okayama Prefectural Medical School in 1884, and he was the first Japanese person to study at the Institut Pasteur in France. While publishing translated books, he was the first in Japan to use the term “immunization.”
As one of the founders of the Japan Society for Tuberculosis, he made a major contribution.
Graduate
Juji Ishii
Juji Ishii(1865-1914)
Father of social work
He was born in Babanohara, Kamiemura, Koyu-gun, Miyazaki Prefecture. After he entered Okayama Prefectural Medical School in 1882, he became a Christian. He founded the Japan Orphan’s Society(later the Okayama Orphanage) while still a student in 1887 in Kadota, Okayama-shi. He left school and discontinued his medical training in 1889 to concentrate on the work of educating orphans and poor children. He raised 1,965 between the establishment and 1909. He is one of the 4 saints of Okayama.
Tokujiro Yamaya
Tokujiro Yamaya(1866-1940)
He was born in Katsuyama-cho, Maniwa-gun, Mimasaka. He graduated from Okayama Prefectural Medical School in 1885, and then completed the national medicine course at the Medical Department of Tokyo Imperial University . He launched the first issue of the magazine Kokka Igaku in 1891 to report and comment on medical world. While he was sometimes engaged in medical treatment, he continued writing. Even in the month following the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923, he pushed through issuing the magazine Iji Koron. Being active as a journalist for over 50 years , he invested half of his life managing medical magazines. Screenwriter So Kuramoto is one of his grandchildren.
Graduate
Tsuneta Yano
Tsuneta Yano(1866-1951)
President, Dai-ichi Life Insurance
He entered Okayama Prefectural Medical School in 1883, and formed the Okayama Medical Association when he was a senior. He graduated from the Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty, due to reorganization of the school system, and became a health insurance doctor for Nippon Life Insurance. In 1902 he founded Japan’s first mutual life insurance company, Dai-ichi Life Insurance. He worked as President and Chairman over a span of 31 years.
During his career, he worked with Shibasaburo Kitasato and Sahachiro Hata on treatments for tuberculosis. He also worked to spread statistical understanding by publishing the “State of Japan in Graphs (Nihon Kokuseizue)”.
Graduate
Kumakatsu Kosaka
Kumakatsu Kosaka(1867-1934)
Professor, Okayama Medical College / Original cranial research / Recipient of Imperial Prize, Japan Academy Prize
He was born in Kanazawa, and came to Okayama as a member of the Third Senior High School Medical Faculty, and became a professor of Okayama Medical School of Anatomy in 1901. He was a leading researcher explaining nerve cell clusters(nerval nuclei), and received the Imperial Prize at age 46. He was one of the founders of the Okayama University School of Anatomy, a mecca for neuroanatomy.
Fujiro Katsurada
Fujiro Katsurada(1867-1946)
Professor, Okayama Medical College / Discovered Japanese Schistosoma
He is from Kaga-shi, Ishikawa Prefecture. After he graduated from Kanazawa Medical School(Faculty of Medicine, Kanazawa University ) in Ishikawa Prefecture, he majored in pathology under Professor Moriharu Miura at the Imperial University Medical School(Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo), and from 1890 to 1912 he was an instructor at the Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty, and was professor of pathology at Okayama Medical College. He received a Japan Academy Prize for his discovery of Japanese Schistosoma, which remains a historically important discovery in the worldwide study of parasites. Based on his achievements the Japan Society of Parasitology established the Katsurada Prize.
Sahachiro Hata
Sahachiro Hata(1873-1938)
Discovery of Salvarsan 606, a treatment for syphilis
He was born in Shimane Prefecture. He entered the Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty in 1891, graduated from the Third Senior High School Medical Faculty in 1895, and then after being an assistant at Okayama Prefectural Hospital he went to Tokyo in 1898, where he joined Shibasaburo Kitasato’s Institute for the Study of Infectious Diseases. After that he studied abroad in Germany, researching chemotherapy effective for spirochete under Ehrlich, where they experienced the historic moment of the birth of the specific medicine Salvarsan 606(Ehrlich/Hata).
Graduate
Tadasu Saiki
Tadasu Saiki(1876-1959)
He was born in Arai-gun, Ehime prefecture (now Nagami, Saijo-shi). He is called the Father of Nutririon Science by the world. He studied at the The Third Senior High School Medical Faculty (now Okayama University Medical School) and in 1904 after graduating he discovered Daikon (Japanese radish) diastase, and was the first to prove that there are digestive enzymes in plants.
He opened the world’s first institute to specialize in educating nutritionists, now the Saiki Nutrition College.
Graduate

Page top